Saturday, October 1, 2011

Anthony Weiner (M.5)

Watching these video's immediately brought me to think about Bill Clinton and his "I didn't have sexual relations..." stint.   Anthony Weiner, just like Clinton, felt the need to lie about it from the start.  Not smart.  In the end, it was the right choice for Anthony Weiner to step down.  If your constituants can't trust you to tell the truth about posting a photo on twitter, how can they possibly trust you to represent them in Washington on harder issues that actually matter?  Unfortunately, it seems like less and less public figures realize that they are held to a higher standard when they choose to take office (whether they like it or not).  If you're incapable of being held to that higher standard, don't waste anyone's time by taking office.

Though we all are promised freedom of expression in the constitution, it can be a sticky subject for people who hold positions in public office.  Even though they technically have that right, it's a more restrictive for public figures.  More people have their eyes on you, waiting for one tiny mess up.  People like Anthony Weiner have to watch very closely what they post on social media sites.  If it's something that you don't want your family to find out about, don't post it.  Something like that destroys relationships and credibility really fast.

I don't think that the media added to the scandal, from what I was able to catch on my own outside of this class.  Nor do I think that Weiner really used the media as a PR weapon.  I think that he used it as any other celebrity figure, public figure, or famous person would use it for.  To make a statement after everything comes out of the closet.  Like others before him, he presented a speech about how he was supposedly sorry for the people that he hurt and has let down in the process.  I guess that in itself would constitute a PR stint to help mend things and do some damage control.

No comments:

Post a Comment