Friday, October 21, 2011

Political ads (M.9)

I think the Perry ad is effective, not dramatic.  Since I've been legally allowed to vote since 1998, I've seen way more dramatic and pathetic ads attacking rival candidates.  Though it's gaining a lot of attention, I feel the message behind is more tame and less petty.  With the Obama ad, I felt that it was contradictory.  Obama states that he plans to cut the national deficit in half while he's in office, but personally I don't see it.  If he really meant to cut the deficit in half, then why in the past has he been dead set on raising the debt ceiling?  I know he didn't want to default or have our credit rating go down, but the debt ceiling was raised (again), and our credit rating went down.  If Obama wants to be effective, he needs to back up what he says to make himself look credible.  

I think it's great that politicians are using social media sites like twitter and Facebook.  To me, it shows that they are willing to go outside the norm to reach there audiences.  It seems to give it more of a personal feel for the voters to interact through social media with politicians.  It twitter wants to sell ad space for the presidential campaigns, they have every legal right to do so.  Though it may come off to some people that they are being partisan.  But... putting social media sites and political campaigns do bring cultural relevance.   

Advertising on TV probably is the best way to reach passive voters.  Passive voters really don't go researching things online, they just tend to believe what they hear on TV or the news just because someone states that it's true.  With my generation being tech savvy, social media would be a good bet to reach a new voting group.  How we find facts and research stuff is a lot different than how our parents did it, and by using social media it will allow us to connect more with what's going on politically.  

No comments:

Post a Comment