Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cable news (M.8)

I personally don't agree that any of the three major cable news channels are promoting a specific agenda.  Just because one station is doing the majority of the reporting on the "Occupy Wall Street" protests, doesn't necessarily mean that they crossed the line from journalism to activism.  Now that there are tens of thousands more protesters', the story is being picked up more and more from news channels from around the country.  There is nothing wrong with them stating the facts by covering the story, just because everyone else decides not to join the bandwagon.
The quote made by Steve Jobs, "Stay hungry, stay foolish", caught my attention at the end of his commencement.  My first thought was to never give up learning, or not to be scared to make stupid mistakes.  That may (or may not) be what he meant, but that's kind of what I got out of it.  I feel that he's correct in saying that the only way to do great work is to love what you do.  No matter how big or small the your work may be, when you get knocked to the ground and it'll be easier to get back up again (like when Jobs was fired from Apple).  To be quite frank, before I saw this commencement speech, I had already made it a goal to do what I loved.  To do what I loved, even if it isn't the most glamorous or high paying job.  Don't get me wrong, I have to make something to pay off my student loans, but the pay isn't my main goal.  
I think that to much competition among cable news outlets can be harmful, because then they would be to worried about being #1 and care less about what they report.  They should also worry about not just what they report, but how they report it, so people can make the correct decision and not the one you want them to make.  The news should be fair and balanced, and not tailored to get the most viewers so a certain channel can come out on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment